9/25/2020 Update: The U.S. Census Bureau announced that the 2020 Census deadline will end October 15, 2020.
3/24/2020 COVID-19 Update: Field operations have been delayed until April 1, 2020. Census workers will not be going door to door, as planned, at this time. All households are encouraged to complete the Census online.
Every ten years, the U.S. Census Bureau works to count every person in the United States, including everyone living in Minnesota.
The resulting count will guide the distribution of billions of dollars to Minnesota’s communities, determine political representation for the next decade, and provide data that shapes how Minnesota’s policymakers and business leaders decide to invest public and private resources.
For all the news and happenings about the 2020 Census in Minnesota visit the MN State Demography Center, the official liaison with the US Census Bureau.
Minnesota residents will have their first contact with the census the week of March 10, 2020. Letters from the U.S. Census Bureau will be sent to about 80% of households, with the remaining 20% receiving a paper copy of the census form; the letter alerts residents to fill out the census questionnaire online. Residents can fill the form out online before they receive the letter.
- By April 1, 2020, every home will receive an invitation to participate in the 2020 Census. Once the invitation arrives, you should respond for your home in one of three ways: online, by phone, or by mail. Individuals will for the first time be able to complete and submit their census forms online.
- The census will never ask for your Social Security number or banking information
- Beginning April 1st through August 2020, census takers will go door-to-door to collect information from people who have not completed their census forms. They will have verifiable identification so you can ensure you are not giving your information to a scam operation.
- The census is so important that responses are required by law. If you do not respond, the Census Bureau will send an interviewer to your home to collect your answers in person.
Call 1-844-330-2020 for help completing your 2020 Census questionnaire
Complete the census in the safety of your own home:
- By Phone
- Or via mail
Simply fill out the form you receive in the mail and return in the envelope provided.
Concerns related to undocumented individuals regarding participating in the census or opening their doors to unknown persons are understandable. There are laws in place to protect people’s privacy. Individual level data is protected for 72 years – only the combined data of large areas is made public. Census takers are required to clearly identify themselves and can only ask official Census questions. Responses to questions cannot be used against anyone and can only be used to produce statistics. The Census Bureau is prohibited from using responses in any way that could identify someone or the household or sharing information with another government agency, including ICE, FBI, or the IRS.
The City of Minneapolis has partnered with the community to create a Trusted Spaces program to help individuals locate areas in their communities to complete the online census form in a space that is safe and familiar. Many locations include community centers, religious centers and neighborhood organizations. Every Trusted Space will have staff/volunteers from the immediate community to support the site by providing technical assistance for anyone wanting to complete the census in a safe place. To find a Trusted Space near you, click here
Count All Kids – Census 2020
The Count All Kids Committee is a group of national, state and local children’s organizations and allies that have joined together to ensure our nation’s children are counted in the 2020 Census. Together, committee members lift up the importance of counting children in the census among the public, advocates and allies, and federal, state, and local policymakers, and identify opportunities to improve the count of children, especially young children, in 2020. Visit Count All Kids for more information.
July 1, 2020 Update: Minnesota is currently #1 in the nation with a self response rate of 71.4%, nearly 10% above the national average of 61.8%.
For more information visit: